The Road to Hana - Not just any drive, but a sensory mélange of the highest kind!

The journey can be as beautiful as the destination.  Sometimes... more.  Although this adage is true generally, it is indisputable for the drives that National Geographic puts as one of the 50 best drives around the world.

The Road to Hana.  Hana is a very small tropical town on the southeastern end of Maui, known for its fresh banana breads, organic fruits like banana and pineapples and speciality jams and butters.

This post is not a typical mile-by-mile guide of what to look for or things to do on your 40-odd mile adventure.  Rather, its exactly opposite of that.  It is about the experiences which we miss to comprehend while being busy ticking off items from our "Road to Hana Bucket List".

As I traversed through the winding road, it was sensual experience; igniting all my senses to the fullest.

See.  I have not been to a rainforest before and I was personally thrilled to see one.  From a distance, it seems an ordinary forest cover on the slopes of Haleakala, the dormant volcano of Maui.  But it's an amazingly beautiful sight when you actually traverse through it.  The cascading ferns are as symmetrical as it can naturally be.  The bamboo trees played little brother to the towering eucalyptus.  Some larger trees, like Koa, were messy, one's branches intertwined with the other creating a mesmerizing mesh of dense foliage.  And all of these, in 50 shades of green!


Smell.  The sights formed just a part of the complete sensory adventure.  There were so many different kinds of smells in the forest which was impossible for me to identify.  The most prominent though was of wet soil.  The dampness of soil may be attributed to light rain, numerous waterfalls and streams, and/or mist from the ocean.  I love the fragrance of eucalyptus and in that setting, it was intoxicating.  Sporadic fragrant wildflowers also dot the highway.


Hear.  The rainforest was a true cornucopia of melodies.  The sounds of the oceanic waves crashing the rocky coastline, gentle streams struggling to flow downstream carving its own path, mighty waterfalls gushing tons of water, and last but not the least, my flying companions calling out others of its kind, transports you to a different world.  I was so immersed in them, the cacophony of engines revving up and human banter didn't bother me at all.

Just taking the drive was invigorating.  Take your time while traversing this road.  Take ample stops and absorb what it has to offer.  I would highly recommend staying in Hana for couple of days to explore the town and neighboring areas.

PS: I know I have not done justice to picturesque forest in my pictures.  The road is extremely narrow with minimal pullouts.  I took pictures where I could stop. :(

Comments